Iran Deal Nears as Middle East War Moves Towards ClosureMay 24, 8:32 AM
Trump says Iran agreed to surrender enriched uranium as negotiators finalise landmark nuclear deal details. (AI-Generated Image) US President Donald Trump has claimed that Iran has agreed to give up its stockpile of highly enriched uranium as part of a broader agreement being negotiated to end the ongoing Middle East conflict and revive stalled nuclear diplomacy. According to a report by The New York Times, US officials said the proposal includes a broad Iranian commitment to relinquish enriched uranium, though crucial details on how and when this would happen are still under negotiation. The issue of Iran’s uranium stockpile remains the central sticking point in the negotiations. US officials view the removal or neutralisation of highly enriched uranium as essential to preventing Tehran from developing a nuclear weapon capability. However, the proposal reportedly postpones the operational details to a future round of nuclear talks. Trump on Saturday said the agreement had been “largely negotiated” and suggested an official announcement could come “shortly.” He indicated that discussions were focused on final technical and political hurdles before formalising the arrangement. Reuters reported that Trump, insisted he would only approve a deal that fully prevents Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons and ensures strict handling of enriched uranium reserves. The negotiations are also tied to broader regional security concerns, including reopening the Strait of Hormuz and stabilising the ceasefire that followed months of conflict involving Iran, Israel and the United States. While Washington has projected optimism, there are signs of resistance from Tehran. Iranian-linked media and some officials have pushed back against suggestions that Iran has fully agreed to surrender its uranium stockpile, indicating that significant disagreements may still remain. The uranium issue has historically been the most contentious element of US-Iran nuclear negotiations. Under the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), Iran agreed to sharply reduce its stockpile of enriched uranium and cap enrichment levels in exchange for sanctions relief. That agreement collapsed after Trump withdrew the United States from the deal during his first term in 2018. The talks come after months of conflict triggered by US and Israeli strikes on Iran in February. Although a ceasefire has largely remained in place since April, tensions continue to simmer, with both sides warning of renewed military action if negotiations fail. The Strait of Hormuz remains a key concern, as disruptions in the strategic waterway continue to impact global oil and energy markets. Iran has also insisted on sanctions relief and access to frozen assets as part of any lasting agreement. Megha Rawat is an Assistant News Editor at Times Now, where she drives the national news narrative with sharp political reporting, election coverage a... View More





