Hasan Piker and Susan Medea Benjamin Hit With Treasury Subpoenas Over Cuba TripMay 24, 7:09 AM
Political streamer Hasan Piker with CodePink Co-Founder Susan Medea Benjamin. (Photo: Instagram) Federal investigators on Saturday issued subpoenas to political streamer Hasan Piker and anti-war activist Susan Medea Benjamin as part of a wider inquiry into alleged support for Cuba's communist government, according to reports by Fox News. The investigation is examining whether US-based activists and organisations violated American sanctions laws during trips to Cuba earlier this year. According to the report, the subpoenas were issued by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), part of the US Treasury Department. The requests reportedly seek financial, travel and communications records linked to visits made in March as part of the "Nuestra América Convoy", translated as "Our America Convoy". The convoy involved activists, influencers and political organisations travelling to Cuba with supplies and participating in events organised by groups sympathetic to the Cuban government, according to people familiar with the inquiry cited by Fox News. The investigation forms part of a broader effort by US authorities to examine alleged foreign influence operations and possible sanctions violations linked to Cuba and other governments viewed as hostile by Washington. Officials from the Treasury, Justice and State departments are reportedly involved in the wider inquiry, which focuses on whether organisations or activists coordinated with Cuban government-linked entities or provided prohibited goods or services. US law restricts many financial and commercial dealings involving Cuba under the Cuban Assets Control Regulations, though exemptions exist for journalism, humanitarian projects and educational activities. Fox News reported that investigators are examining whether members of the March delegation stayed at hotels included on the US State Department's "Cuba Restricted List", which identifies businesses linked to the Cuban state. The report also said additional subpoenas could be issued. Piker, one of the most prominent political streamers on the platform Twitch, publicly documented his trip to Cuba on social media. On 10 March, he posted on Instagram: "I'M GOING TO CUBA." Photos from the visit later circulated online, including images showing Piker alongside activist Jodie Evans in Havana. Fox News said the investigation also includes scrutiny of networks linked to businessman Neville Singham, who has previously been accused by critics of funding groups promoting pro-China and pro-Cuba positions. According to the report, organisations connected to Singham were involved in the convoy alongside activist groups including the Democratic Socialists of America. During a recent livestream, Piker criticised a US indictment involving former Cuban leader Raúl Castro, describing it as a "sham" with "no legal standing". He also accused President Donald Trump of acting like a "playground bully". Piker has previously faced controversy over political remarks made during livestreams, including comments about the 11 September attacks and criticism of US foreign policy. He has denied accusations of antisemitism, saying his criticism is directed at the Israeli government rather than Jewish people. Benjamin, a co-founder of the activist group CodePink, is also reported to have received an administrative subpoena linked to the Cuba inquiry.





