Iran's Supreme National Security Council secretary Mohsen Rezaei. Iran's Supreme National Security Council secretary, Mohsen Rezaei, has warned Gulf countries against joining US efforts to impose economic pressure on Tehran, saying Iran would retaliate by targeting their interests. "If the countries surrounding Iran join the Americans in their economic war, not a drop of oil will leave the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz," Rezaei said on Sunday, according to Iran's Tasnim news agency. "We will also target other oil export routes from the Persian Gulf," he added. His warning comes as US President Donald Trump prepares to intensify economic pressure on Iran, with Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent expected to announce details of a plan aimed at isolating Tehran and its trading partners. The measures are intended to shift the conflict away from direct military strikes and towards economic pressure, after months of fighting between the US and Iran. Rezaei also criticised Trump's approach to the war, arguing that the attacks had increased global interest in acquiring nuclear weapons. "Trump's recklessness, with his attacks on Iran, has increased the desire of people around the world to acquire nuclear weapons, especially when they saw that membership in the International Atomic Energy Agency and the [Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty] NPT was ineffective in preventing attacks from the United States," he said. "Trump has created nuclear insecurity instead of nuclear security," Rezaei added. He said Iran had accepted international nuclear safeguards, complied with them, remained a member of the NPT and agreed to inspections. "Iran is the only country that is ahead of all other countries in its commitment to nuclear regulations," he said. Rezaei said Tehran also needed to change its approach to the conflict and its diplomatic conduct. "Iran today is not the same Iran as before the war," he said. He linked recent military appointments by Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei to what he described as Tehran's intention to remain prepared for war. He also said the conflict had changed how young Iranians viewed the US. "The whole world has understood that Trump is a fool," he said, according to Tasnim. Trump's administration is betting that new sanctions, a naval blockade and pressure on countries trading with Iran can force Tehran to accept a deal on US terms. The strategy follows months of military action in which US and Israeli forces have targeted thousands of sites in Iran. The US now plans to target Iran's economy and countries that continue to trade with Tehran. Bessent is expected to unveil the details of the new strategy on Monday. The campaign could affect countries including China, India, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates. The US has previously indicated that the measures could target Iran's oil trade, with China a particularly important focus because it is the main buyer of Iranian oil. But analysts have warned that increased economic pressure could provoke an Iranian military response rather than force Tehran to capitulate.